A new trend in self-publishing is to create a boxed set.
The appeal is to offer added content at improved value:
- More books for the buck.
- Could include bonus content, too.
The hope is to gain more than you lose by offering the set at a reduced price:
- Sell more books. Lose the risk of customers buying just one book.
- Lure more readers. The boxed set value may attract new customers.
- Gift potential, too. Boxed sets can make for nice gifts. (You could even add a decorative holiday bow to the thumbnail for the holidays.)
There are risks:
- You might not reap the benefits that you’re hoping for.
- The sales ranks of the individual volumes may plummet if the boxed set takes off.
- If you already have many reviews and stable sales ranks with the individual volumes, realize that you’re basically starting over with the boxed set.
View original post 872 more words